Tuesday 24 July 2012

AGE IS NO BARRIER

Being Contestant No. 20, Kelvin Ng may be the last hunk to step onto the stage when it came to the unveiling of this year’s Manhunt Singapore Top 20 finalists, but make no mistake, this handsome boy next door with the sunny disposition is most definitely not the least of the lot. Despite being at the tender age of only 20 years old, this 1.73m tall, 68kg strapping lad who recently graduated from Republic Polytechnic's School Of Infocomm (SOI) Diploma in Business Applications, already impresses as Vice-Captain of his kayaking team in school.


As the Beam Artist Management official Manhunt Singapore 2012 website reveals, “as the eldest child in his family, Kelvin feels the pressure to be a good leader. He joined Manhunt Singapore 2012 so as to ‘experience’ the event and have fun. When asked what his parents thought of him joining Manhunt Singapore 2012, Kelvin conspiratorially shared that they don’t know about it yet and he intends to surprise them!” 



Well, we’re sure Kelvin’s parents would definitely be pleasantly surprised and mighty proud of him when they learn of the news, just as how truly honoured ManSA is to have him as our newly anointed alumni member too! Eager to know more? Let’s get you up close and personal with our newest kid on the block.


Congratulations on making it to the Top 20 in Manhunt Singapore 2012! What would you like to say to your fans for their support and Facebook “Likes” that helped you make it to the finals?
Without a doubt, I must say I’m really overwhelmed by the responses and the support by my fans, not forgetting my friends and family members as well. Without each and every vote, I would not have been able to make it into Top 20. So here’s a big THANK YOU to all of them.
In this present day and age, with the gradual acceptance and integration of the GLBT (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender) community into our society, how do you personally feel about having GLBT fans amongst your fans and supporters?
To be honest, I know that there are always those who may laugh or make fun of them. But for me, I believe in mutual respect and also as the saying goes, “it is better to make more friends than enemies”, so as long as they respect me, I will respect them too, and treat them as equals without discrimination.


I’m sure your fans and supporters would definitely like to get to know you a little better on a more personal level. Can you share with us some of your favourite things?
i) What do you enjoy doing most in your spare time (and no, gym doesn’t count, ha ha, ha…)?
Hanging out with friends, and going for road trips or short getaways are some of my favourite things to do during my free time. And as long as I’m with the people I’m comfortable with, there will be always be an assurance of fun.




ii) Any fave TV shows?
Admittedly, I’m hooked on the Korean variety show “Running Man”, after being introduced to it by my friends. At first, I was reluctant to watch it, but after relentless “psycho-ing” by my friends, I figured there’s no harm in giving the show a chance. Since then, there’s been no turning back! Ha, ha, ha… I must admit though, it really is very funny and I haven’t finished catching up on all the episodes yet!


iii) Any fave movies?
Wow! You’ve asked me the right question! I’m definitely a movie buff! Especially action-packed and comedy films! A recent favourite one that come to mind is “The Avengers”, and of course, naturally by association, you should already know that I’m a fan of the preceding movies (“Iron Man”, “Iron Man 2”, “Thor” and “Captain America”) that led up to that ensemble film too! I’d also highly recommend the upcoming comedy “Ted” starring Mark Wahlberg, which is hilarious! Don’t believe me? Just go and check out the trailer!




iv) What are you currently playing on your iPod/playlist?
“Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson


v) Any fave recipes or food? Would you say you’re a good cook?
Home cooked food is the best! I especially love my Mum and Dad’s “signature dishes”! Both of them are excellent cooks! As for me, I’d bestow myself with “The Best Instant Maggi Mee Cook" award! Ha, ha, ha!!!


vi) What are some of your fave hangouts?
As you might have guessed, similar with other guys and girls of my age, my favourite hangout places would of course be clubs and pubs. I’d personally recommend “Phuture” and “Helipad”, as two of my top choices for night spots to go chill out with friends, especially if you’re into great music and love to dance! Besides pubbing and clubbing, I also enjoy driving out and chatting with friends over late night suppers!




vii) Any fave gadgets? What is it about this gadget/s that appeals to you?
Hands down, it would be my iPhone4S and my XBox 360 Kinect! The biggest appeal for me on both devices is that they are both good game consoles!


viii) Could you share with us a lesser-known interesting fact about yourself?
You may not be able to tell from my current demeanour, but I used to be quite a volatile, hot-tempered person during my secondary school years! Minor, trivial matters would trigger my temper and led to me raising my voice on quite a few occasions. But since my transition into tertiary education, with my enrolment into Republic Polytechnic, I’ve learnt to manage my temper and made the conscious effort to become a much, much better person. I’ve come a long way since then in terms of honing my patience and tolerance. In fact, these days, I’m proud to say that I am extremely capable of keeping tabs on myself from flaring up for the longest time!

Might we have seen you anywhere before (e.g. print or TV ads, acting parts in TV shows, other pageants or fashion or beauty related competitions, sports events, etc.)?
I actually went for an audition previously for an acting role on Channel 5’s “Crimewatch”, successfully clinched the part, and then later discovered that unfortunately I was in a sports competition that clashed with the day of shooting and had no choice but to turn it down.


What made you decide to take part in Manhunt Singapore 2012?
As I would be enlisting in National Service this coming October, I thought it would be a unique and interesting experience for me to participate in a male pageant while I await my enlistment. At the same time, I could use this opportunity to test my inner strength, see how far I could stretch my physical and personal limits through hard work and perseverance, and perhaps achieve something special for myself through the course of the journey.


Before enrolling in this competition, what was your impression of Manhunt Singapore 2012 like? Now that you’re a finalist, has that impression changed?
Honestly speaking, before my application to join the competition this year, I’ve heard about but wasn’t really that familiar with the Manhunt Singapore pageant. But since qualifying as a contestant and now making it as a Top 20 finalist, I’ve discovered that some of my friends had actually been contestants on past years of the competition and also come to realize first-hand that it truly is a competition that celebrates the best not just in male physique and looks, but character and attitude as well.





You’ve received numerous compliments on Facebook, praising your well-toned physique in the Manhunt Singapore 2012 photo shoots. Were you always this hunky since young? If not, what inspired you to build up your physique? How did you do it?
I wasn’t even close to being hunky during my younger years! Just a skinny little guy with no visible muscles, that was the old me. Even though I was already super sporty back then in secondary school, being the badminton vice-captain and basketball member, and took part in numerous competitions, it wasn’t until I entered Republic Polytechnic and joined its sprint kayaking/canoeing team with my friends, did I started bulking up through the many intensive training sessions that we were put through. From that point on, it was the start of a brand new chapter in my life.







There is often the impression that good looking individuals tend to shun or discriminate against others who may not be as aesthetically pleasing in looks and physique. To what extent would you agree with this statement? What is your personal stance on this issue?
I disagree with this statement to a large extent. Everyone is equal. Remove the colour, the looks, and the muscles; remove everything until there’s only a skeleton left, and you’d realize that everyone is the same. Through the course of this competition, we guys have grown closer to each other. We aren’t competitors, we’re friends.




On the Miss Universe and Miss World annual competitions, emphasis is often placed on promoting world peace and helping the needy who are facing issues such as hunger, poverty and sickness. If given the choice to make a difference, what social cause would you want to champion? Why?
If I could pick only one cause to champion, I’d like to put an end to or at least largely minimize the global hunger issue. It just makes me indignant to know that for every starving person who cannot afford even the basic necessity of food, there are so many others out there who would spend lavishly on wine and dining and still waste food!




On a closing note, were you surprised when you first learnt of this Manhunt Singapore Alumni group and were invited to join it in Facebook? How do you think the group is working out so far? Do you have any suggestion on how we can make both the alumni group as well as this blog better in time to come?
I'm really glad to be inside the group. There are regular updates and it’s really a great platform to keep in touch with fellow Manhunt Singapore contestants past and present. It’s awesome!


He may be young, but Kelvin sure impressed our socks off with his wisdom beyond his years, his compassion for the less fortunate, his commitment towards enhancing himself for the better both physically and altruistically, as well as his personal drive and determination in his pursuit of greater heights and bigger successes in life. Armed with these positive qualities, we’re certain he’ll have no problem doing great in his future endeavours.

So which hunky Top 20 finalist would you like to get to know next? Watch out for our next interview write-up coming up real soon!

Photos Credit:
Beam Artistes (http://www.beam.com.sg/)
Marcus Mok Photography (http://www.marcusart.net/),
Milk Photographie (http://www.milkphotographie.com/index.php),
and Kelvin's Personal Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment